Monday, February 22, 2010

Girls will be boys?

There are times as a single father that I think God is looking down at me and laughing his butt off. In so many ways, he really did play a cruel joke on me.

Four girls. Four of them. Not one little boy in the whole litter.

When I found out that I was going to be a father for the first time in 1997, I continually daydreamed of playing catch with "little Brett". Day after day, me and the little guy outside laughing it up while throwing around the pigskin.

Then, after nine months of playing out this fantasy, came Kern. A beautiful, healthy, blue-eyed girl. Disappointment was non-existent as I was thrilled to be a father. Besides, I had plenty of time to have a boy.

Then, came Savannah. Followed by Shelby, And, finally, Alani. Four girls for the football coach. There would be no more trying for the elusive boy. I was done after four.

I'd like to think that I have done a pretty good job of raising girls on my own. I do as much as any man can be expected to do to allow girls to be girls. The last thing I have wanted to do was to try and raise my girls as boys by only introducing them to what would typically be classified as "boy" stuff.

I have let them apply make-up to my face, have played Barbies with them, and have watched endless amounts of fashion shows. I have even participated in a conversation with them over who would be a better a boyfriend, Troy from the High School Musical trilogy or Jackson from the Hannah Montana television show.

I picked Troy because he was the better athlete, while they picked him because he was "cuter". Whatever.

So... Sunday morning I stood in the hallway watching my girls pretty themselves up on their own while getting ready for Church. They were facing a full-length mirror on the closet door, admiring their outfits and hairdo. It was one of the cutest things I have seen as a father.

With a great sense of pride, I continued to watch while thinking that I was actually playing a role in raising girls who would one day grow into beautiful women. I finally turned around and began to walk back to my room when Alani said something that made me stop.

"Hey Vannah," she said.

"Yea?"

"Fart on my face, then I will fart on yours. OK?"

"OK."

Damn. Looks like there is more work to be done.

8 comments:

Candice said...

*snort*

You didn't know that farting in each others faces is now considered classy these days? ;)

You sound like a fabulous Daddy to your girls. Great job!

DGB said...

Ah classy, classy girls.

Unknown said...

As a girl, I'll let you in on a little secret....we can be 10x's grosser than boys. I definately gave my brothers a run for their money. =)

Jack Steiner said...

I grew up with 4 sisters. They were nuts. I love 'em, but nuts is accurate.

Not From Lapland said...

such lovely young ladies. ha ha, Sounds about right though, me and my sister were far worse than nay boys, i'm sure of it.

That Janie Girl said...

Too funny!!1 I have all boys....and the stories I could tell you...

Momma Sunshine said...

Sometimes it's good to let girls be boys once in a while... ;-)

TentCamper said...

Now that is the kind of thing that is good to hear!!!! One of the human body's natural occurrences....might as well make a game of it!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails