Friday, February 20, 2009

My love for Al

Al Pacino. My hero. The only man that I would say I have a crush on. A man's man.

The style, confidence, bravado, and all-knowing Al Pacino. There hasn't been a role he has played that I haven't taken a piece of and tried to incorporate in my own personality.

Whether it be the leadership qualities he possessed in the Godfather series, the combination of his self-deprecating and confident manners in A Scent of a Woman, or the fearlessness and determined Tony Montana in Scarface, Pacino has the it that I want. He is just one bitching dude.

I can recite line after line that he has uttered in his movies. I often do in my own life. A few examples:

"Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in.", said in Godfather III. I used it when I returned to coaching football after a three-year stint as a golf coach.

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.", said in Scarface. My favorite response whenever asked if I am bullshitting or not.

"There are two kinds of people in this world. The first group is the people who face the music; the second group are those who run for cover.", as Frank Slade in Scent of a Woman. I have used this with students who have found trouble.

One line that I have always wanted to use, but haven't found the right opportunity to is the famous, "Say hello to my little friend!" That scene from Scarface gets me every time.

The only appropriate time I have thought of saying it would be before sex. I have not in fear of ruining the mood.

Even as a parent, Al Pacino is in me. As a young child, I remember watching Author! Author! with my parents and thinking that he played a great father. He was a single parent who showed vividly how to handle all the challenges of raising kids on his own.

My favorite scene from the movie is one that I often play out with my own girls. After a long day at work, Pacino enters his house and begins to talk about everything he did during his day to his kids. He ends it by screaming "I forgot to beat my kids!", and runs around the house chasing his kids.

Ever so often when I come home, I calmly walk into the kitchen and begin to spew off details of my own day. Then I yell, "I forgot to tickle my kids!"

As soon as the words leave my mouth, my girls take off running all over the house with me close behind. They want to be caught. They need to be caught. And, sooner rather than later, they are caught.

I dive into them, tickle them to near tears, then leave them in a hump on the ground breathless. Each of them possessing a smile on their face that can't be beat.

It is the closest to being Al Pacino I can get.

Posted by Coachdad

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Pacino!!!!!
Not gonna say that I have a crush....but you go my man.

He has played some awesome roles and had some of the best lines. Loved, Godfathers, Scarface, Scent of a Woman, etc

Great post!

Irish Gumbo said...

Oooo-aaaahhh! Testimony out there on that Godfather III line, use it quite often myself.

Just don't go using any Uzis or anything, that just gets messy and upsets the wee ones. :)

Red from Ktown said...

Yeah....somehow I think that would DEFinitely ruin the mood, because why would you even want to call it 'little' even though it might NOT be???

I do those 'movie quotes' too.

Fun.

Immodesty Blaze said...

I think that's very sweet really. Though on the other hand I am really glad that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is *not* your fave film..

said...

*sigh*

I so love me some Al too.

And my girls love being tickled til they're breathless too. What's the fun of being tickled if you're not left breathless?!?!

I've got to see Scent of a Woman again. I LOVE that movie!

Brittany said...

You can't find a use for "Say hello to my little friend?!"

That's odd, I think I toss around the quote "Okay! You wannna play rough? Okay! Come say hello to my little friend," um, almost every night!

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mariah said...

Als the man, totally!

Mariah said...

Als the man, totally!

Related Posts with Thumbnails