Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Swine Flu, Drugs and Money


OK…I don’t want to minimize or make light a serious situation. I am just so over all of this swine flu crap! Not the people who have died or become sick from it…the researchers and pharmaceutical companies creating the ‘vaccines’.

I know that I am not a medical research genius, nor am I versed in anything medical (barring band-aids, asprin, gauze, chicken noodle soup and sleep) but…this flu thing is not new. This has been going on for decades.

What the F are these pharmaceutical companies doing? It is my belief that they have collected enough information to see some sort of freaking pattern…to anticipate something. These are the companies that are awarded billions of dollars every freakin year to get us well when we get sick. The same companies that create medications that have ‘typical’ side-effects that make people need yet another of their medications. (If that is not the first sign of a scam….I don’t know what is.)

(See the post on my personal tango with medications)

Now, if we can split atoms, fly in space, produce huge quantities of mind altering drugs (that work just fine) and are able to rid the earth of things like Black Plague…

When I recently looked at the following timeline, it kind of hit me that someone ain’t doing their job. H1N1 has been circulating for 91 years.

1918
Pandemic
“Spanish flu” H1N1
The most devastating flu pandemic in recent history, killing more than 500,000 people in the United States, and 20 million to 50 million people worldwide.

1957-58
Pandemic
"Asian flu" H2N2
First identified in China, this virus caused roughly 70,000 deaths in the United States during the 1957-58 season. Because this strain has not circulated in humans since 1968, no one under 30 years old has immunity to this strain.

1968-69
Pandemic
"Hong Kong flu" H3N2
First detected in Hong Kong, this virus caused roughly 34,000 deaths in the United States during the 1968-69 season. H3N2 viruses still circulate today.

1976
Four soldiers in a US army base in New Jersey are infected with swine influenza, resulting in one death.

1977
Appearance of a new influenza strain in humans
“Russian flu” H1N1
Isolated in northern China, this virus was similar to the virus that spread before 1957. For this reason, individuals born before 1957 were generally protected; however children and young adults born after that year were not because they had no prior immunity.

1997
Appearance of a new influenza strain in humans
H5N1
The first time an influenza virus was found to be transmitted directly from birds to people, with infections linked to exposure to poultry markets. Eighteen people in Hong Kong were hospitalized, six of whom died.

1999
Appearance of a new influenza strain in humans
H9N2
Appeared for the first time in humans. It caused illness in two children in Hong Kong, with poultry being the probable source.

2002
Appearance of a new influenza strain in humans
H7N2
Evidence of infection is found in one person in Virginia following a poultry outbreak.

2003
Appearance of a new influenza strain in humans
H5N1
Caused two Hong Kong family members to be hospitalized after a visit to China, killing one of them, a 33-year-old man. (A third family member died while in China of an undiagnosed respiratory illness.)
H7N7
In the first reported cases of this strain in humans, 89 people in the Netherlands, most of whom were poultry workers, became ill with eye infections or flu-like symptoms. A veterinarian who visited one of the affected poultry farms died.
H7N2
Caused a person to be hospitalized in New York.
H9N2
Caused illness in one child in Hong Kong.

2004
Appearance of a new influenza strain in humans
H5N1
Caused illness in 47 people in Thailand and Vietnam, 34 of whom died. Researchers are especially concerned because this flu strain, which is quite deadly, is becoming endemic in Asia.
H7N3
Is reported for the first time in humans. The strain caused illness in two poultry workers in Canada.
H10N7
Is reported for the first time in humans. It caused illness in two infants in Egypt. One child’s father is a poultry merchant.

2005
H5N1
The first case of human infection with H5N1 arises in Cambodia in February. By May, WHO reports 4 Cambodian cases, all fatal. Indonesia reports its first case, which is fatal, in July. Over the next three months, 7 cases of laboratory-confirmed H5N1 infection in Indonesia, and 4 deaths, occur.
On December 30, WHO reports a cumulative total of 142 laboratory-confirmed cases of H5N1 infection worldwide, all in Asia, with 74 deaths. Asian countries in which human infection with H5N1 has been detected: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia and China.

2006
H5N1
In early January, two human cases of H5N1 infection, both fatal, are reported in rural areas of Eastern Turkey, while cases in China continues to spread. As of January 25, China reports a total of 10 cases, with 7 deaths. On January 30, Iraq reports its first case of human H5N1 infection, which was fatal, to the WHO.
In March, the WHO confirmed seven cases of human H5N1 infection, and five deaths, in Azerbaijan. In April, WHO confirmed four cases of human H5N1 infection, and two fatalities, in Egypt.

In May, the WHO confirmed a case of human H5N1 infection in the African nation of Djibouti. This was the first confirmed case in sub-Saharan Africa. Throughout 2006, 115 human cases of H5N1 infection occur, with 79 deaths.

2007
H5N1
In early January, two human cases of H5N1 are confirmed in Indonesia. By the end of 2007, 88 confirmed cases occur in Indonesia, Cambodia, China, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Myanmar, Nigeria, Pakistan and Vietnam, with 59 deaths.

H7N7
In May, four cases of H7N7 avian influenza were confirmed in the United Kingdom among individuals exposed to infected poultry.

2008
H5N1
On May 28, Bangladesh reports its first case of human H5N1 infection to the WHO. By the end of the year, 40 cases are confirmed in Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Egypt, Indonesia and Vietnam.

2009
H5N1
On January 7, Indonesia confirmed a new case of human infection with H5N1 influenza. Since that time, new cases have been identified in Egypt, China, Indonesia and Vietnam.
Appearance of a new influenza strain in humans
H1N1
In April, human infection with a new strain of H1N1 influenza is confirmed in Mexico. Within weeks, human infections spread to the United States and cases begin occurring in other regions around the world.

(*timeline obtained from the National Institute of Health)


Anyway…I say that we should all, as a country, boycott all drugs medicines and live our lives as the cavemen and all of those other ancient fuckers did back in the day.

A few months of that and I bet those same companies who could not figure out how to stop the flu would quickly find the cure.

22 comments:

Susan said...

I work for a biotech company in sales...14 years in the industry.

The sad thing is, I think I agree with you.

I'm posting my resume tonight.

Missty said...

Oh yeah, I agree with all you said. I am not one to jump on the flu shot of any kind. Or pretty much all the other stuff they say we should get immunized for.

KristinFilut said...

The amazing thing is that "experts" don't understand why this virus is affecting children so much. Um, hello?!?!? Because kids these days aren't exposed to any germs? They rarely play outside and when they do, parents are spraying the dirt off of them like they're Karen Silkwood! Not to mention the boatloads of antibacterial hand sanitizer people wipe all over their kids! C'mon people! Let your kids get dirty! Expose them to harmless germs so their bodies learn to fight off the icky ones!!!

TentCamper said...

@susan - maybe you could be our 'inside source' ...you know, to back us up on the boycott.

@missty - proud to have you on my side!!!

@thatonemom - A-fucking-Men!!!!!
you hit the nail on the head. Between scandalous pharm. companies and over-bearing freaked out parents...we've go no freaking chance.
Our kids get sick..."get some rest" they get dirty and scratched up..."get your brother to pee on it" ...and their hands and faces STAY dirty. How else is one to know that they are having a good time?

said...

Uh huh. That's why my post today is about what *we* do to stay healthy during flu season. And hopefully we'll avoid all the drug companies...

I do agree with the above commenter. We do need to be exposed to germs to build our tolerance and immune systems. Overuse of antibiotics breaks down our immunities even more.

Just my .02.

Keith Wilcox said...

Ah, so refreshing to read this this morning. I agree with you. I hate the drug companies for keeping us perpetually addicted to their stuff. I hate to see anybody get sick, but I doubt the drug companies have any incentive to save them. Their incentive is only to make money. As long as they can maintain panic then they've won.

TentCamper said...

@T - Right on sista!!!

@ Keith W - Glad to know that I'll have the support that I need for the boycott

BigLittleWolf said...

Another voice of support. Had your tv on lately? Counted how many commercials there are for some new miracle drug to help with LIFE? Or aging? Or stress? Then pay attention to the list of possible side effects... more frightening (to me) than the originating "distress."

I think I'll go make myself a nice cup of herbal tea. With a shot of something in it, natch. You know - a classic HOT toddy. (oo la la)

Tracy DeLuca said...

I completely agree with this post. If my kids are not so dirty that I cannot recognize them by the end of the day.... then they did not have a good enough time. I don't think they even know what antibacterial is....

Mariah said...

I agree with Faerie mom. I don't make my kids wash their hands and we don't use antibacterial anything. My kids live in the dirt and rarely shower. I would not rush and get my children the flu shot unless they had a compromosed immune system to start with. I also agree with T in we need to be exposed to germs to up our immune system. I'm not an expert, but I have 4 healthy kids-so that counts for something.

On the other hand I maight get the flu shot b/c I have to take care of my parents and all these kids. I can'tafford to get sick

Mariah said...

On the other hand again, I think that parents who don't vaccinate their children when they are newborns for polio, MMR, etc. are being foolish and putting others at risk. I also think all girls should receive the cervical cancer vaccine when they're old enough.

Anonymous said...

This is something that has been on my mind. My 3 daughters have been sick on and off for 3 weeks now. They have had fevers, sore throats coughs you name it. They get better then come home sick again. I myself have not had a single illness this year.

Recently the media was at our Jr. High due to the fact that there was 2/3 of the school out. They will not confirm or deny that it is H1N1 although there is plenty of rumors. They also made an announcement that they will not close the school because they do not have not alloted any extra days to be closed. So therefore the virus continue to be spread as my daughter goes from classroom to classroom sitting in the dirty desk that the last 6-8 kids sat in for the previous periods.

They are now wanting all kids to get the vaccine and I am not so sure that I want to take the risk of the side effects involved. I have heard that it is not perfected and that many health care professionals dont want to get it so why would I want my children to have this?

For the most part my kids are very healthy individuals and I don't feel it is worth the risk. We will continue to nurse the fever and cough drops for the sore throats and hope it goes away as quick as it came.

Danielle said...

Wow, Mr. research! This was awesome and I couldn't agree more!

Trooper Thorn said...

More people will die today from smoking related illnesses than will die in 5 years from non-standard influenza. Until the government is actually willing to outlaw the production, sales and marketing of tobacco products, they have no business focussing money on swine flu.

TentCamper said...

@BLW - you should go read the post I wrote (linked in this post)
@Faerie Mom - Raise em rough and tumble and they'll resist on their own.
@Mariah - You know I agree with you!!! (otherwise I am in for it) I love you!
@LB - I feel your pain...vicious circle at its finest
@Danielle - Thanks for the props!
@TrooperThorn - AMEN!!!! (from one who is currently trying to quit)

Annette said...

I believe in letting your kids get dirty (hell, I showed my son how to make mud pies and my daughter regularly smells like a boy and/or the dogs), but good hygiene, like hand-washing will help keep your kids healthy and from spreading germs. And yes, we check the color of our snot. Anything lighter than apple green is most likely allergies.

Some diseases are worth vaccinating against, like polio. Others, I would rather my kids have, like chickenpox (BTW, that vaccine DOES NOT work).

My 2 cents.

dadshouse said...

I love conspiracy theories, and you're onto a good one.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Hey Great info! Thanks TC! :)

Chapter Two said...

we do not get the flu shot. we rarely get the flu. We did get the flu this year. Call it the swine flu if you want . We are not going to pay a doctor visit and lab costs to have someone number my flu. We are getting over it in about 2.5 days time. That is the shortest flu I have ever had.

I am so over the whole thing - including the flu ;)

thanks for the post

LiteralDan said...

Down with "Antibacterial" everything!

It's all mostly "anti-" the good bacteria, fighting the bad ones like tiny little counterterrorist spies.

We're just training all the bad germs to be the worst, most infectious germs they can be, with some kind of accelerated natural selection.

LiteralDan said...

I should note that while I know H1N1 in particular is not a bacteria, things like Purell talk about how "the stupid government won't let them tell you it kills viruses, too".

So you know it's messing around with viruses in the same way as bacteria.

hot russian said...

I thinks that its now all over the world but the people are awake and governments are working for it. So, there is nothing to be afraid from it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails