Thursday, May 28, 2009

Vay Kay Shun

It's really happening. After talking about it and planning it for what seems like several years (even though it's only been 9 months or so), the Geek Boy family is taking our first vacation. I've been trying not to be all Clark Griswold about it, but I have gone out and bought a vacation guide so we'll know how to best navigate the island of Maui with the kids in tow. Oh yeah, did I mention we're going to Hawaii?

Thankfully, Southern California is only a 5 hour plane ride from the magical islands of one of our best states. WonderWife™ and I are east coasters, so we've done the 5 hour plane ride before. (Okay, I'll admit that I personally have not done it with two kids, that honor goes to WW™ who did it by herself--twice.) But once we're on vacation, what then? Are the kids going to go crazy with the general lethargy and lack of structure that comes with a vacation? Or somehow will they get into the spirit and kick back with us? Only time will tell.

So all of you awesome Hot Dads readers, I open up the comment section for you to discuss your family vacation strategies, stories and tips. I've got to go finish packing. Now where did I leave my sunscreen and Speedos? *


*Kidding of course. I never use sunscreen.

9 comments:

Candice said...

All of my vacations involve LOTS of alcohol.

Have fun!

Jess said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOD LUCK! And you should totally wear sunscreen...and forget the Speedo...just stay naked...

TentCamper said...

I say...walk down the beach in your speedo with a fanny pack, black socks and sandals...I'm telling you, women will throw themselves at you...you'll have your choice of child care.

Homer and Queen said...

Take the nanny with you...and go with what TentCamper said. WW will be proud to be seen with you!

Laura said...

FIVE HOUR PLANE RIDE? FIVE HOURS?

I did 1h45 with my kids and it will take lots for me to do it again!

But good luck :) And enjoy!

Speedos rock - dudes with speedo tans - now that is a hot dad right there ;)

Barney said...

5 hrs...in closed space... children..

Bring the portable DVD player and headphones... IPODS & head phones.. and benadryl... LOL...
fly late at night.. so they are sleepy... so they sleep on the plane.. not sure how old your wee ones are... but..

Go naked on the beach after you have shuttled the wee ones off w/the nanny...drink plenty..
dont pass out in the sun..that's bad bad bad for the skin...

have fun!!!

dadshouse said...

Maui is awesome! As for vacation strategies - have some cocktails with dinner. Enough said.

Judy Lewd said...

i don't have kids, but i have dogs and treat them like my kids.

i find when we're in unfamiliar territory the natural "pack instinct" takes over.

so basically, you're so worried about losing each other you don't have time to worry about anything else.

as far as the plane ride goes, my parents swore by force-feeding me gravol anytime we traveled. i was usually out cold by the time we got to the city limits, and hey, i turned out ok!

Amber said...

I love electronic games, mp3 players, portable DVD players, and books. Finger puppets, crayons & coloring books, sunglasses, blank paper. All the makings of a good (busy) trip.
Kudos to WW for making that trip twice.

Related Posts with Thumbnails