Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Happy Is As Happy Does

Happiness – it is one of mankind’s emotions that can’t be explained in any set way. Everyone reads and expressed happiness in a different way.

I know that for me, I see true happiness only in a person’s eyes. They can speak cheerfully…and still not truly be happy. They can walk with a ‘pep in their step’…but may just be suffering from ADHD. They can smile, give a high five or even compliment someone…but still not be happy on the inside.

I guess there might be something to that old adage “the eyes are the windows to the soul.” When I look into someone’s eyes…I can instantly tell if they are happy, sad, scared, angry or confused.

One of the things I love most in life is looking someone in the eye and seeing pure joy and happiness flickering around like a star-filled night…right there in their eyes.

The downside to all of this is the fact that when I look into people’s eyes…and do not see the happiness sparkling around…it makes me sad…or confused as to my possible involvement in their unhappiness. It also makes me feel as though I should try to help them…do something to make them happy.

It is one of those things that I consider to be like the yawning contagion … being around unhappy people …and seemingly not being able to help fix their situation…tends to suck the sparkle from my eyes. I end up not looking at people’s eyes, walking like a freakin sloth and battling with how I make myself once again happy.

Since I don’t know where this is going…if anywhere…I’ll just say that for anyone who is or plans on being around me…..BE HAPPY and let your eyes sparkle!!!!!!

8 comments:

UP said...

My Mama always said, "Happiness is a choice!"

She's right as always, darn it!

UP

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Sometimes in order to get out of a funk I fake it until I make it...but people can read me like a book so I don't know why I bother.

Happiness is a choice, sometimes a hard one but a choice all the same :)

Mlvlatina said...

Wow, I needed that! Thanks for sharing such an upbeat post :).

Unknown said...

Hello!

I'm the editor for an online education blog (http://www.onlinecollegeguru.com/) and we've recently put together a list reasons why teachers and parents are alike.

If you have some time, could you come read our article and if you like it, could you give us a plug on your website?

Here's the post: http://blog.onlinecollegeguru.com/education/50-ways-teachers-and-parents-are-alike-2/


PS,
I couldn't find your email/contact form, so I'm leaving you this comment. Feel free to delete this after you read it.


Thanks,

Wendy

Danielle said...

This post made me smile and my eyes sparkle!
Good for you TC.

Joanna Cake said...

Oh, I know what you mean. Some people can just suck all the joy out of you.

I spend my life smiling and being pleasant to people who are miserable whatsits but they are in the minority, thank goodness. Mostly, happiness breeds more happiness and if someone greets you with a cheery good morning, it can be extremely contagious and help to get your day off to a better start.

I'm smiling and sparkling right at ya! x

Not a soccer mom said...

I completely agree. Eyes are the window to the soul and happiness spills out.
And we need a lot more happiness in this grey world

Chapter Two said...

oh so true and my eyes are such a dead give away - but you have to look, you have to care. i too can feel people's feelings. it is hard. energy suck is right.

Related Posts with Thumbnails